Wednesday 27 July 2011

Goji Magic

I think I have recently become addicted to... Goji Berries. I am snacking on them all the time, but since they are packed with vitamins, minerals and amino acids, I don't think it is a dangerous addiction!
Goji Berries (Lycium barbarum; Wolfberry) grow predominantly in China, and have long played an important role in Chinese medicine. They also grow in Mongolia, and Himalayan valleys of Tibet and Nepal. Most of the Goji berries we can get in the west are in the dry form, but it is also possible to buy Goji juice. I love the sweet and tangy taste of the berries. For some reason I liked them much more the second time I tried
them. Maybe after finding out more about their nutritional values?...

 Goji berries were recently rated as having high antioxidant powers on the ORAC scale (Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity) by the US Department of Agriculture. The higher the given score, the higher the food's capacity in destorying the free radicals that can cause cancer and speed up the aging process. Goji berries scored a staggering 25,300 per 100g, while prunes, coming second, had 5,770 per 100g. Goji berries contain high amounts of vitamin C, Beta-Carotine (important for vision), vitamins B1 and B2, minerals and amino acids. Goji berries are said to help improve the immune system, vision, liver functioning and to be beneficial for complexion because of their antioxidant properties.
  I am truly enjoying snacking on my Goji berries (they can be bought in any health shop). I prefer the slightly larger, fatter berries: they are sweeter and more juicy. I highly recommend these as a healthy afternoon snack for beautiful skin from within.

No comments:

Post a Comment